No one wants to return from a vacation to find that something has gone wrong back home. An empty house or structure is unfortunately an ideal target for criminals. Here are a few preventative measures to ensure a situation like this does not ruin your trip!
- Avoid posting anything on social media that will let people know that the home will be empty
- Install cameras and/or a security system
- Smart Home technologies with cellphone capabilities
- Ask a trusted friend or relative to check in on the house regularly
- Buy a light switch timer so you can set the interior and exterior light to go on and off throughout the day and night giving the impression that someone is home
- Be sure all windows and doors are locked prior to leaving
- Remove any spare key from easy to find locations
A few other things to think about that could help with other unwanted circumstances could be to unplug all unnecessary devices and electronics in case of an electrical surge, shut off water main to prevent any flooding, check basement sump pump and battery back-up, install water flow detectors and even keep tree branches trimmed to not overhang your home to evade any damage if there were to be a wind storm.